DjangoBooks.com

Current GJ Woodwind players

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    AndyW wrote:
    James Carter was at Samois last year (2010) , there are a few videos of him jammin' on youtube.
    He made an album called "Chasin' the Gypsy", with lots of GJ / Django tunes on it.
    Carter is a monster player, he often plays baritone and bass saxes, as well as tenor / alto / sop / and all the clarinets.

PLUS He's the smartest-dressed jazz-player i know:
    Carter performed with the Rosenberg Trio in Montreal this year. He damn near stole the show with his energy and phenomenal playing. Stochelo was laughing at times as if to say, "How do I top this guy?"
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Very energetic playing indeed.

I will make a provocative comment. Miles Davis reportedly used to chide Trane when he was getting really notey to "take the horn out of your mouth man"
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    Christopher Kohl of the Hot Club of New Orleans is a very nice player:
    hear him on their website: http://www.hotclubofneworleans.com
  • yes indeed
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    "Salut" to clarinettist Etienne Quezel,
    who plays with French GJ band "Madam Irma"
    -A-
    Dominique Vernhes is a fine clarinettist as well as an extraordinary accordionist, he's often recorded with Patrick Saussios / Alma Sinti. He also plays flute & saxophone :P

• Thanks Andy. I really enjoyed that one
    Salut to tenor player Cedric Ricard, here with Adrien Moignard et. al. very nice.
    I should burn my clarinets & dig an old tenor out of my attic :wink:

yay!
    100 posts in the Woodwinds section !
    (and only half are mine lols )
  • delb0ydelb0y ✭✭
    Excellent!

I'm still busily practicing on my 40 year old plastic B&H Regent trying to convince myself the reason my tone is poor and that I squeak so much is all to do with the instrument and not me...

I've actually found it's a really nice compliment to guitar playing. On the guitar one can't help but fall into using moveable patterns and chords, on the clarinet (and sax) one has to know this stuff.

Talking of sax, I have a Yamaha student model tenor, too. I've found that if I play the saxophone for half an hour and then try and play the clarinet, the clarinet is impossible. But if i do the time on the clarinet first then the saxophone is much easier... ish.

Derek :cry: