DjangoBooks.com

Jazz Manouche In the Style of Wawau Adler DVD

Comments

• pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    WOW!!! is an apt summary of the incredible new DVD by Wawau Adler. Produced by Denis Chang, the content of this DVD is meatier than any other gypsy jazz DVD that I have seen (with the possible exception of Denis' recent multi DVD set). This DVD is for intermediate to advanced players with good ears that can pick up licks by listening and watching. No transcriptions accompany the DVD. I didn't know much about Adler before seeing this DVD -- but after seeing him play, I now would have to rank him as one of the finest true gypsy players around. His technique and phrasing is amazing and his vocabulary of licks and tricks seems to be endless. The first part of the DVD contains solos played to popular GJ jam tunes. These solos go beyond the normal GJ idiom and contain many more modern harmonic devices that add a very pleasing dimension to his interpretations.

This DVD is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and will immediately impact your playing.
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    wow thanks for the review!

I should have wayne add a FAQ to the hyperhip media website but the whole idea behind the "In the style series" is to really recreate the whole immersion feel that is necessary to learning music

i really believe music (most kinds anyway) is a language and a culture; the absolute best way is just to immerse yourself in that world... unfortunately, that is not a possibility for any of us who don't live in Paris or the Gerwen gypsy camp in Holland....

So I thought to recreate as much as possible that feel with great artists such as Wawau Adler, Stochelo Rosenberg, and perhaps more (Hehehehe)

I've basically put them on the spot, by having them improvise on practically every popular jam standard at different tempos and keys sometimes... they have no chance to work anything out... it's really hundred percent them...

this way, you get to observe and hear all their quirks and everything that makes them who they really are... just like learning a language... let's say you want to learn english...when you hang out with certain people in New York, you start to realize that they don't speak textbook english, you'll hear the "I ain't go no time" "Whatcha doin, man?" etc....

when you go to London , you'll hear "Cheers, mate", when you go to Canada, you 'll hear "it's aboot time, eh?"

it's all these little things that make a language/culture what they are...
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    Dennis -
    .................Tell us about the guitar Wawau is using in this great video. It has such a nice vintage tone!
    .................Thanks, Rocky
    http://www.eimers-guitars.nl/EG-Antique-txt.htm
    It is an Eimers guitar. If you have 4000 Euros it is your :D.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Here's some info:
    http://www.eimers-guitars.nl/guitarproducts.htm

But I hope Denis chimes in and tells us how it is in person and maybe talk about his new AJL X-O as well...
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    lemanouchecbien beat me to it!!
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    4000 Euros!....Let me check my wallet!....Oh Oh! Kinda Short!
    A guy locally has a '06 Eimers that I'll hear this weekend and see how it has opened since last heard in '07 Eimers are very rare in this area!
    Thanks guys,
    Rocky
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    Wawau's guitar is truly exceptional. It's an Eimers model that's been "antiqued". It has been cosmetically altered to look used. The finish seemed very thin. The guitar is very light in weight and feels very woody in the hand (strange phrase now that I read it).

Wawau likes to use Martin Silk and Steel strings. The guitar has a full-bodied sound which cuts through without being too biting or trebley. The balance from string to string is very even. Many Selmer-style guitars have weak high E strings but not Wawau's. For a relatively new guitar it has a very played-in sound.

At the end of the first day's shoot, I was wrapping up some cords for the lighting. I had my back to Wawau as he noodled on the guitar waiting for us to finish. I was really struck by how much the guitar and Wawau's playing sounded just like DR. I said to Wawau "wow that guitar sounds just like Django's when you play it". Wawau cracked a big smile.

I doubt Wawau would sell it. He seemed very attached to it. I think he feels that it gives him a big advantage over other player's guitars.

He was very complimentary about the guitar and would kiss the neck to show how much he liked it.

I believe the guitar Stochelo used in his video is the same model. It's got a great sound as well.

cheers and start saving your money!
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    wawau's eimers really has that old sound, it was a nice guitar... i liked mozes' antique better though (the one that stochelo brought to montreal) , it was much easier to play and had more bite...

however, my brand new custom AJL is by far the best guitar i've ever owned... amazing volume, tone... playability is great... AJ really outdid himself!!!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    dennis wrote:
    ... my brand new custom AJL is by far the best guitar i've ever owned... amazing volume, tone... playability is great... AJ really outdid himself!!!

Having heard Denis's guitar played at Django in June by Denis AND others, I would have to agree. It is a wonderful instrument, fantastic dry crunchy sound, and simply beautiful to look at.

I got a laugh out of the Adler DVD. He plays each song at different tempos. Coquette "slow" is at about the normal speed we play it. "Fast" is ... fast!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles