DjangoBooks.com

Lets write a fake book together

Comments

• HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
    One way to imput melodies is on a guitar thru a midi hookup to your computer.
    Barry
  • JohnVBJohnVB PDX, Orygun✭✭✭ Gitane D-500 #051
    Here's a question about chord symbols/forms.

Should we be using chord symbols which most easily translate into fretboard shapes for guitarists/bassline movements, or those which actually give the harmonic movement?

Djangology is a good example: the popular chord shapes of choice are best indicated by A/C#, Cdim, G/B, Bbdim, A-7, D7, G (6, 6/9, maj7 etc).
    However, the actual harmonic resolution is better revealed by the following: A7, D7, G...etc, same as above.

I'm posting a couple charts for Si Tu Savais here.

The second chord could be an (in Bm) F#7#5b9...or more easily (and sure to get guitarists to play the closest sounding 'shape') G-6...I also know that the second chord is popularly a C#-7b5, but this doesn't sound right with the Django recording.

I've read over the posts (and hopefully I didn't miss this) but should we go for 'close to being transcription renderings' of the changes, or should we go with the current popular changes? (Or is this something we wrangle over in the wiki?...which I can't seem to access.)

In Si Tu Savais, throughout the song, a variety of chords are actually played in in the same place in different choruses. What I did was take the ones that seemed the best, and payed attention to the ones Django used under Grappelli's solo...and mixed them all up and came out with the following chart.
    The 'B' section I actually took from the original Si Tu Savais sheet music...which has completely different harmony, but the melody still works over the Hotclub's interpretation.

Ok...check it out and see what you think.
    E=Fb : The Theory of Relativity
  • ArnsteinArnstein New
    I don't have much to add to this thread as I'm sure you all know Django's music better than me, BUT a thing that would be really good:

In the first post of this thread, add the songs that you have already written down, and also add a list of the songs that needs to be done. (and also rules for how to write them down, if you have any).
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi Arnstein,

The song list (what's available and what's needed) is available on the wiki, along with instructions on how to transcribe and post them. It's also covered somewhere in this thread, but I doubt people are going back to look at the first page every time they log on, so the wiki is the best place for it. And I'm happy to report that Mvalentiner has taken up the torch and started posting charts like crazy, with JohnVB on his heels. Keep it up, gents!

And really, does anyone know what happened to Chris? I'm actually a bit worried that he had a car accident or something like that...I hope he's just been busy with other things...

best,
    Jack.
  • ArnsteinArnstein New
    I didn't find it on the wiki. Link?
    Here's the Song List. Titles in blue are done or are being worked on; titles in red are free to be transcribed. Anyone can add to the list, too. Scroll down to see the song titles.

At the bottom of the Main Page, you'll find instructions about how to lay out transcriptions. Other helpful pages are Recent Changes and the File List.

Hope that helps, and enjoy!

best,
    Jack.
    I heard from Chris shortly after my first post in this thread, and e-mailed him a bunch of tunes I'd previously written out in Finale... and I've not heard anything either. Hope nothing's wrong.

Anyhow, is there a way to upload charts (pdfs) into the wiki, or is that privilege reserved for Chris? I've got plenty I could upload, but they aren't in the same font as the 'realbook' format as suggested.
    Ok, so in the files section I just uploaded 24 odd songs...but can't figure out how to link them to the title pages they go with. Ya'll can proofread them until Chris gets them into the correct fonts and all.

More later...

JVB
    Nice work John! I'll be sure to find time to proof as much as I can over the week and let you know if I notice anything off. Overall though it looks great so far-I think there might be some idiomatic chord changes that we could change but this is a great step forward!

thanks,
    Jack.
    I expect there will be some need for chord changes... the (GBC) which appears in most of the chart file names stands for 'Gig Book Compatible' which refers to Robin Nolan's book. The chord progressions I notated were so I could play along with the folks playing out of the gig book, without any big clashes. For the melody, I tried to go for the original tune, without all the flourishes present in most 'interpretations.'