DjangoBooks.com

Modern la pompe vs Django's rhythm

Comments

• Jazz started out as dance music and at its peak in the swing dancing days it was the most popular music on the planet.

Then bebop came along and jazz became more "artistic" more spectator oriented and its popularity slid down to where it is today....

Django played mostly for dancing and was the most popular music in Europe even during WW2. The after things changed and it is more spectator oriented .......

Hmmmmmmmmmmm
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • guit-boxguit-box ✭✭
    You can really hear the open notes on Django's up strokes here
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Don't mean a Thing If it Ain't got that Swing

I'm with you Swanging Steve

pick on

pickitjohn
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Some great videos in this thread. That one of Adrien on django's solo in dinette was a new version for me, anyone know what album that's from? Is it really Adrien?
    edited December 2013 Posts: 1,457
    p.s. I think romane can do a good rhythm sound and I'm not sure who the rhythm player on his earlier albums is but that's a nice pompe

edited December 2013 Posts: 1,457
    @MichaelHorowitz can you tweak the youtube embedding so it works a bit better

youtu.be links don't show properly
    http://youtu.be/GPOZvIU_Kgc?t=1m30s

this doesn't load the preview, it looks blank - i think the video still works though
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPOZvIU_Kgc&t=1m30s

this should start the video at 1:30 but instead it plays from the start. I often want to link to a specific time in a video...

edit: I tried to put the links inside
    code blocks

so they wouldn't be parsed, but it seems they were parsed anyway. but the first one was a link like youtu.be slash GPOZvIU_Kgc?t=1m30s and the second one was like www.youtube.com slash watch?v=GPOZvIU_Kgc&t=1m30s
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Thanks @Wim….

WOW…WOW…WOW :shake:

Nuages @ 8:00 is incredible

pick on

pickitjohn
  • guit-boxguit-box ✭✭
    edited December 2013 Posts: 47
    One of the rhythms that Romane demonstrates is a lot like the classic late 1930s-1940s Django rhythm with the open strings sounding on the up strokes--although he doesn't play open strings on every up beat like QHCF does in those recordings I posted.

The major difference between the Django rhythm and modern la pome is the sounding of the open strings on the up stroke. The modern players are sounding the chord they're playing--when/if they are putting emphasis on the up stroke. The second major difference is there is less emphasis on 1 and 3, which allows 2 and 4 to jump out more.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    To my ears the earlier rhythm styles were more directly copying the rhythms of a drum set. So in my analysis what we hear on the rhythm guitar in the earlier recordings was emulating the sound of a brushed snare, or if not brushes the lightest most effervescent stick work. These days it seem theres less emphasis on the up stroke and a bit more focus and clarity on the part of the rhythm player. The older styles seem busier. There is more up beat and after beat "information". Essentially the modern rhythm is simpler. Though especially in the clips above I still hear a 2-4 accent, but less emulation of the snare drum. IMO
  • guit-boxguit-box ✭✭
    I've also been listening to some 1920s traditional jazz, and I hear Django's rhythm mirroring the styles of the time. Much of that 1920s era traditional jazz is more mechanistic sounding and has an even 4 to the bar feel without much up stroke. It seems like the swing rhythm of the later 1930s-40s had more emphasis on 2 and 4. Django tunes from that earlier era such as Rose Room and Sheik of Araby have more of a 4 to the bar feel. Tunes like Coquette and Django's Tiger from the later 40s sessions have more swing. So it seems to me his rhythmic feel was transitioning with the music of the time.