DjangoBooks.com

Favorite picks in 2024?

What is everyone’s favorite pick to use right now?

Favorite shape, material, thickness?

I am currently using the 3.5mm wegen GJ and loving it. I love experimenting with stuff like this, so wondering what else to try out. I tried the 2.5mm wegen and don’t like it as much. Ended up using it more for rock music haha.

Have my eye on some vintage galalith picks in the “Django shape” at around 4-5mm for sale by a different website. How does this material compare to the wegens?

Comments

• pdgpdg ✭✭

Wegen Big City 1.8mm, broken in a bit.

alexhunter
  • luckylucky New

A visiting friend (from this forum) left his big city pick at my place years ago and it has been my main pick ever since, I even use it on my electric guitars.

alexhunter
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0mm for me.

alexhunterMikeKwim
  • DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia

Wegen 3.5mm twin (they are like a mini version of the famous "GJ" pick.)

alexhunter
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

I've been using the Gismo Graf signature made by "He who shall not be named" the last couple of years after trying other brands and I haven't looked back. In my hand, the best pick I've used.

alexhunterJangle_Jamie
  • flacoflaco Shelley Park #151, AJL Quiet and Portable

The players at my local jam seem to mostly use Dunlop gator grips 1.5mm - the slightly greenish colored one.

alexhunter
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

For those who use the Dunlop gator grips, do you use the pointed end or one of the rounded sides?

MikeK
  • CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New Barault
    edited January 7 Posts: 73

I just started using the round edge of a Bluechip TD60 1.5mm and love it. I prefer Bluechip because they don't wear out and the material has a nice grip.

The biggest misconception about this style is using thick gypsy picks. Many of the top players today are using the round edge of a classic shape guitar pick to achieve an ease of fluidity in their playing, including Beréli, Sébastien Giniaux, Max O'Rourke and countless others. The round edge has a warmer tone plus the rest stroke provides all the power and volume you need. A thick gypsy pick can weigh down the picking hand and inhibit your playing, which is ironic considering there's a whole market of "gypsy picks" out there.

alexhunter
  • HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭

Mainly either the 3mm Gravity picks, (orange) or 2mm Dunlop 208, (pointed tip).

alexhunter
    HCQ
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

I use the gator grip 2.0's (the gray ones) & I use the side.