DjangoBooks.com

New Stochelo Rosenberg DVDs!!!

Comments

• ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Elliot wrote:
    Invariably you see online people with this type of beta-dog dismissal/kissing up meant to replace what is valid criticism in forums.

does it not occur to you that some customers are actually happy with the dvds? and what they have to say is just as "valid"

Why then do you not shoot heroin? Some 314,000 US customers are happy doing that, too.
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    My two cents:

As a guitar teacher, whenever i first give a pupil a new song (generally in TAB, if it's a transcription of an actual recording), the very first thing i get them to do is LISTEN to the recording, following the TAB so they know how it should sound, what they're aiming for. Because, as ole Robert Anton Wilson was so fond of saying, the map is not the territory , the TAB is not the music, it's just some numbers on lines, and as such can never fully represent the MUSIC you hear. It's a good memory aid, & something useful that my pupils can take home & work from, but they need to be able to picture the sound of what it is they're playing, or you get some weird ass results, i can tell you.

The Django solos i've learned from TAB books never stay in my head for as long as those i've studiously transcribed myself, not just 'cos it took longer, but in the transcribing act you absorb it more. Every nuance; timing, accents, vibrato.. But saying that, every solo i've transcribed, i've TABed out, so i can remember it.

But the only thing that really matters in this debate is the fact that, as Dennis pointed out himself, it quite clearly states that there is no TAB, so don't moan that there isn't any TAB!!! If you bought his previous DVD's (which you did), and there isn't any TAB on them (which there isn't), and it says very clearly that there isn't TAB (which it does), then how can you possibly be upset by the lack of TAB?

I personally think he should include TAB, so the people that want to use it can, those that don't, can ignore it. It's all about choices.. But i'm not gonna moan about a lack of TAB when i'm not paying for TAB, i'm paying for 3 hours of up close & personal time with Stochelo, which you can view over & over again. which is a bargain for $60.

You couldn't buy 3 hours of my time for $60, never mind the worlds leading player!!!!

That reminds me, must get some smack in...
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    Elliot wrote:
    Why then do you not shoot heroin? Some 314,000 US customers are happy doing that, too.

oh come on, that's a silly metaphor that really doesn't equate to what i said at all.
    pinkgary wrote:
    But the only thing that really matters in this debate is the fact that, as Dennis pointed out himself, it quite clearly states that there is no TAB, so don't moan that there isn't any TAB!!! If you bought his previous DVD's (which you did), and there isn't any TAB on them (which there isn't), and it says very clearly that there isn't TAB (which it does), then how can you possibly be upset by the lack of TAB?

you're right. it is what it is. if you want tab books don't buy this. if you're happy with denis' teaching philosophy these dvds are great.
    edited December 2009 Posts: 551
    I think I'd pay $60 to watch Tchavolo get drunk, but I'd have to buy the last round. :lol:

It isn't a question of whether learning by ear as a part of training is important or not, nor whether one should look for or expect a TAB book from Dennis. It is about the accessibility of the learning material to the serious student. In a sense Dennis addressed this in his statement about different DVDs for different levels of playing, transmitting information in person, and clinging to tablature alone. There are some people here who picked up a guitar fairly recently, and there are others who have been learning and playing for a while in a different genre who nonetheless have a limited exposure to jazz, let alone GJ.

If Stochelo knows anything, or to be more accurate, doesn't know anything (as far as names go), then like Django he surely must know or be able to recognize the progressions he is using. Django and others could hear the first few bars of any tune and know exactly where it was going. From what I've gathered there aren't that many, although I still don't know what they are! I don't have the DVD, but I'm wondering if somewhere these progressions can be accessed and familiarized with easily at least as preparation so runs and riffs can be placed in their proper context. I'd guess Michael's Rhythm book probably goes over these...I can't help thinking that it helps things be more understandable and not come out of left field. Then I can understand what Stochelo and others are doing without mindlessly aping them directly. Then even stuff like 'here's how I like to go from this chord to that chord' would make sense to my ear, which they barely do now sometimes. I know I'm looking forward to getting the Waltzes DVD, because I know I can hear and identify that type of progression rather easily.

The Tuck Andres Hotlicks was okay....the rest sucked...whatever happened to Eric Johnson? :lol:

"Why do you necessarily have to be wrong just because a few million people think you are?"
    - Frank Zappa
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    "as Dennis pointed out himself, it quite clearly states that there is no TAB, so don't moan that there isn't any TAB!!! If you bought his previous DVD's (which you did), and there isn't any TAB on them (which there isn't), and it says very clearly that there isn't TAB (which it does), then how can you possibly be upset by the lack of TAB?"

Point made by pink gary-surely story over?. Anyhoo, I'm off to use my ear so I can stay in the Hotel again next year. :wink:
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • smilinjacksmilinjack The Wilds of Borneo & The Vineyards of BordeauxNew
    "Why then do you not shoot heroin?"
    That's good thinking! Have You imparted these words of wisdom on Your children?
    Have you ever applied for a position in a Think Tank in Amsterdam?
    They probably would welcome another Juvenile Deliquent with open arms!
    And as far as Denis' Elitist veiled criticism of the United States (Acutally he was afraid too say it, as that is what He really meant, So he subbed "North Amreica"), I would venture to say that You move more of Your merchandise through Horowitz's site than any other.
    By the way, He's from New Jersey.
    I will address more of Your points later, Including the "Hot Licks" DVDs and the fact that We are slipping and sliding into Third Worldism.
    Right now I'm on My way to a seance with Beethoven, Brahms & Bach to ask them why they
    just didn't hum thier symphonies for the musicians in the orchestra, then have them show up
    the next day and perform the piece flawlessly!

With Kind Regards,
    Jack
    "You Can Walk Around this Town Without Brains. . . But You Can't Walk Around Without Money!"
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    wow such hatred!

criticism of the united states? far from it, I love America and many of my best friends are americans , moreso than any other culture or country..

and by north american, i'm also lumping canada in there too.. it's relatively the same culture in certain aspects
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    smilinjack wrote:
    "Why then do you not shoot heroin?"

Right now I'm on My way to a seance with Beethoven, Brahms & Bach to ask them why they
    just didn't hum thier symphonies for the musicians in the orchestra, then have them show up
    the next day and perform the piece flawlessly!

well i was specifically talking about genres where improv plays an important role... classical music is different... and from a business point of view it is also very different...

furthermore in symphonies, classical musicians are employees of the musical director/conductor... and yes a good conductor pretty much knows the score by heart...

BTW, i never said TAB or sheet music is bad... I said it has a tendency to create a sense of false security... even in classical music... the best ones are the ones who are able to hear the msuic they are reading before even playing it... i know some really amazing classical musicians, their ears are there...

ONCE the ear is there, then it doesn't matter how you learn... i use TAB or sheet music myself for certain things that don't involve improv.... which is precisely why TAB is incuded in the stochelo waltz dvd.. the purpose is different
    edited December 2009 Posts: 551
    Sorry, I meant to say "Why then do you not shoot Herons"...that was a typo. Is that better? :D

Jeez, I was defending the guy until a moment ago...now he's gone completely Teutonic on our asses!
  • MaxwellGarcesMaxwellGarces Laguna Niguel, CA.✭✭✭
    why are there trolls in the world of django? this is so uncharacteristic and disappointing. Dennis, you are the man. most people, myself included, think that the "in the style of" lesson dvd's are incredibly well done and offer a more than bountiful supply of information, knowledge, lickage and tools to make one a better player.

again, haters on such a level in the world of gypsy jazz? what is the world coming to?
This discussion has been closed.
Home  |  Forum  |  Blog  |  Contact  |  206-528-9873
The Premier Gypsy Jazz Marketplace
DjangoBooks.com
USD CAD GBP EUR AUD
USD CAD GBP EUR AUD
Banner Adverts
Sell Your Guitar
© 2024 DjangoBooks.com, all rights reserved worldwide.
Software: Kryptronic eCommerce, Copyright 1999-2024 Kryptronic, Inc. Exec Time: 0.017426 Seconds Memory Usage: 1.008797 Megabytes
Kryptronic