DjangoBooks.com

So, what's everyone working on today?

Comments

Transcribing the clarinet solo at the beginning of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKA9mcqa124&feature=fvst

Some nice tricks over the E7 chords which are well worth poaching especially - as is the descending lick Grappelli plays on the first E7 of his solo
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Oh,I dunno, Gypsy Jazz guitar usually makes me feel like I never played the guitar before!! It's really good for crushing the ol' ego....in a really great way of course!!
    You might be better off if you actually never DID play before - less to unlearn!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    Yeah, but I like playing other guitar styles; Telecaster Chickin Pickin, Blues,Rockabilly,NFLD/Irish,Bluegrass,Funk/Rn'B,ect. It'd be a shame to not explore those styles.
    I agree with ya though, un-learning and getting out of your own way is a really big hurdle with GJ playing.

Oh, BTW....today is arpeggios.
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • fillegitanefillegitane New YorkNew
    Andre Krengel's version of Les Yeux Noir. Finally starting to sound like something.
    ach mishto
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    Stephane Wremble's- "Bistro Fada".
    That song is driving me crazy, sooo good.
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Work is my life right now, but when I have a chance to play, I'm building up my familiarity with the set list for DIJ. Having difficulty memorizing songs but familiarizing myself with them so I can glance at the grille and following along pretty easily.

Getting quite comfortable using my thumb now and the intermediate chord shapes. Right hand feels and sounds cool. All the hard work seems to finally be revealing itself in the rhythm playing.

I'm a little concerned on the lead side. I don't have much interest in it but still want to take the level 2 lead course at DIJ. What's exactly par to do this? Know my basic arps? Once this project is over at at work, I'm planning on getting together with Jack quite a few times and cramming for DIJ. :lol:
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    The opening riff/intro to HoneySuckle Rose. Alot of posts on YouTube. They seem to play the intro differently. Many just leave it out and launch straight into the solo. The intro provides a nice bluesy set up. I like Fats Waller tunes. Great melodies. Also find it easier to improvise over the changes.
    Swang on,
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Lately we have been working on Belleville Rendezvous, Bistro Fada, For Sephora, and Oriental Shuffle

Been on a hardcore arpeggio diet in preparation for a Mehling lesson in June
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I've been going back lately and working seriously on my rhythm playing. I've been working with Denis's Hono Winterstein lessons, and I think after six years of trying I'm finally starting to get it!

We've got three guitars in the band now, and Kevin and Vincent are so much fun to listen to that I really enjoy sitting back and playing rhythm behind them. We made a rule a while back that only one guitarist solos on any given song, so we're all playing a lot of rhythm. We have violin, clarinet, and vocalist also, so it could get ridiculous if we had three guitars soloing on every song as well.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Timing, Ben. Late last night I was watching Bireli's Live at Vienne, and marveled at the rhythm playing...and realized how much I'm on the first rung of this ladder, a good reminder. I watched Hono's first series on DC Gypsy School again, and busted out Michael's gypsy rhythm. I may come to DIJ with nothing but a scant arpeggio or two, and otherwise, rhythm on my mind.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.