DjangoBooks.com

So, what's everyone working on today?

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Good rhythm players are very well respected at Django in June. There are a few guys who specialize in rhythm playing, and they are much appreciated at the jams.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    That's good to know, thanks, Ben. You mirror one of the things that comforted me when I first looked into DIJ (believing I was too inexperienced, really, to attend), Andrew's mentioning the thrust of the camp, the traditional esteem given to rhythm playing.

Watching Bireli & pals, the thing that hit home for me - again - was just how much the music is in these guys, such that they effortlessly move between solid rhythm accompaniment and improv comping, like it was breathing to them. I know the point's a facile one - all the great players are also great rhythm players in their own right - but the notion of an "apprenticeship" in rhythm, 10 years or so, really hit home, once again. And that's lead players. I have noting but admiration for Hono Winterstein, and realize there's worlds inside what he does that would easily take the rest of my life. Him, and other devotedly accompaniment players.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. Just interesting that you mentioned this, because I was literally heading to sleep last night watching the Live at Vienne and was compelled to hit rhythm, in a decided way.

Back to basics. As always.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    No one should feel too inexperienced to attend DiJ. All levels are accommodated and welcomed. Except, of course, someone who needs help in tuning their guitar and only knows how to play You Are My Sunshine in G.

Seriously, you place yourself in one of four levels for the instructional periods, based on some well defined criteria that Andrew has put together, from relative GJ beginner to advanced, and if you feel you didn't put yourself in the right one, you simply switch. And there are always multiple jams going on. Often, people who are not comfortable jamming with more advanced players seek out people who are more at their level.

I too am amazed at the facility with which the great soloists switch between lead and rhythm. I find it to be a very difficult transition, and sometimes I'm just getting into the solo groove and it's time to stop. We're fortunate in my band to now have three guitarists, all of whom like playing rhythm, so we designate one soloist for each song, and that person is also allowed to do rhythmic ornamentation or solo fills if he chooses, while the other two play straight rhythm with no embellishment. Always having two other guys playing rhythm also allows the soloist to drop out of rhythm ahead of time if he needs the time to get geared up for the solo.

Django made the decision to bring in a third guitarist to what had been a quartet after realizing that Stephane always had two guitars backing him but Django only had one. Some people attribute this to Django's ego, but based on our experience, I think it was a sound musical decision. There is a big difference between going from two rhythm guitars to one and going from three to two.

Anyway, DiJ is only two months away now. Looking forward to seeing you there.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Ben, great post. The Quartet picking up the second backing guitar - as a musical decision - is really interesting, hadn't thought of it in those terms (given your thoughts in the preceding paragraph). Makes perfect sense.

Yep, really looking forward to this. And to meeting you as well.

Cheers,

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    Tele295 wrote:
    Lately we have been working on Belleville Rendezvous, Bistro Fada, For Sephora, and Oriental Shuffle

Been on a hardcore arpeggio diet in preparation for a Mehling lesson in June
    Ah, I find myself jealous again!! I merely ordered his Arpeggio DVD. Lol
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Ah, I find myself jealous again!! I merely ordered his Arpeggio DVD. Lol

If it's any consolation, the lesson didn't happen. We couldn't get our schedules to coincide. Working to reschedule the next time I'm in San Francisco.

Tunes to work on this weekend: September Song, Wagner's Bridal Chorus (several wedding gigs coming up), Sarane Ferret's Cocktail Swing, and As Time Goes By.

Also working with my daughter to play Manoir de Mes Reves, Danse Norvegienne, Clair de Lune, and my own waltz Joliette as a viola (her) and guitar duet.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Still trying to get the proper le pompe feel on this one. I'll keep trying. :?

Swang on,

Eruption_EVH_Music1.jpg
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    It works better as a Bossa than a pompe
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I'd try it as a bolero, 320 bpm.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    double jeu / made in france