DjangoBooks.com

Recommend gypsy jazz with vocals

alexborowskialexborowski Albuquerque
edited July 2013 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 7
Lately I've been in the mood to hear some gypsy jazz with vocals (most of the recordings I have are with female singers, but I'm open to either women or men singers). Do you guys have any recommendations for some good recordings of this kind? Stuff along the line of the Gypsy Project cd with Sara Lazarus and Bireli. Thanks!

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Brandi Shearer did a couple of excellent vocals with Robin Nolan on the Stephane Wrembel/David Grissman CD "Gypsy Rumble". "Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams" is just a stunning rendition. She and Robin continued the effort on "Rendevous at the Nightery", which is a whole CD of Brandi's vocals with Robin's always excellent playing.

But my absolute favorite hands down is George Cole's new CD, "Riverside Drive", which features 10 original vocals on the 12 songs. It is my wife's (and my) favorite CD right now. Most of the vocals feature George, although he has a female singer on harmony plus a lead vocal and a duet or two. I don't know if Michael plans on carrying this or not, but I hope so. You can hear the tunes and order the CD at www.georgecole.net.

I also have a Moreno CD with some vocals tracks, but I can't remember the name right now. I'll try to check when I get home tonight.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Maybe this is a good opportunity to announce the Hot Club of DC's new EP Gypsy with a Song featuring the fabulous Eva Somers on vocals. The "official" release is at the Djangology Festival in Brooklyn this weekend where the Hot Club of DC including Eva Somers will be performing.

Alex, I sent you a PM with details if you are interested. If anyone else is interested, PM or email me.

Craig Bumgarner
    Hot Club of DC

Another good CD with vocals is Swingphonicity by the New Orleans swing group Vavavoom. Lots of gypsy jazz influence.

CB
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Almost forgot...the Hot Club of Philadelphia's CD features vocals by Denise King and Phyllis Chappel(sp?)! These are quite good as well.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Check out Jazz et La Java. Jean yves Dubanton and Jean-Claude Laudat both of whome were members of Patrick Saussois' Alma Sinti. I have Mon pote Le Gitan and its pretty awesome!
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • MusetteMusette New
    I also have a Moreno CD with some vocals tracks, but I can't remember the name right now. I'll try to check when I get home tonight.

Is it "Le Fils du Vent"?
    Great CD.

David.
    It's Jazz Tsigane. Not a lot of vocal stuff on it, but a couple.
  • MusetteMusette New
    I'll have a check on it. :wink:
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    How can no one have mentioned the absolute best of Gypsy Swing vocal recordings--Fapy Lafertins two recordings (soon to be 3) with the great Bamboula Ferret--great warm vocals,superb guitar and great repertoire.Essential.
  • How about Thomas Dutronc?

While not straight up gypsy all the way, there are strong GJ influences on the following record and it is modern sounding. My quartet covers quite a bit of this material.

http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Dutronc/e/B001LHBB6I
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I agree that Thomas Dutronc album is cool was listening to it this morning on my way to work! JKaz do you have any charts for your arraignments? I would love to check them out.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.