DjangoBooks.com

NEW FORUM!

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 6,153
    wim wrote: »
    And I get an error like

Unknown column 'FirstCommentID' in 'field list'|Gdn_Database|Query|update GDN_Discussion `Discussion` set DateLastComment = :DateLastComment, FirstCommentID = :FirstCommentID, LastCommentID = :LastCommentID, CountComments = :CountComments where DiscussionID = :DiscussionID

when I posted..

Sorry, I think I fixed that. :oops:

Let me know if it keeps happening.

• jimvencejimvence Austin, TX✭✭
    FYI, I've tested the search function, and it seems to work OK.
    I like the fact that you can use your Google or Facebook login, but if I switch over, does it lose my history of purchases, and posts?
    Michael, sorry man, but have to agree - don't like this new format at all. Your site and you've certainly done more than your share in creating and maintaining this resource, so complaining is a bit, petulant, I guess. But I find the format just plain Yooglie and not user-friendly at all.

Let me know specifically what you don't like and I can look into making adjustments. What I like about it is that the focus is more on the discussion, with the text simply displayed with only the users name and avatar. It's more of a Facebook style display, which so many people are accustomed to these days. The old format wasted a lot of space with redundant formatting. I think once you get used to it you'll appreciate the cleaner presentation, not to mention some of the other functionality.

pickitjohn wrote: »
    Hope to see the Kinks worked out, same as Wim and Paul.
    My inserted picture which took some time to find never previewed and post only had upload address.

Sorry, I fixed, that....let me know if it happens again.
    What happened to emotions?

See the little smiley face over on the the right hand corner of the text editor.

How do you find New Post?

The main discussion page lists all the new posts. All you have to do is look on the main page of the forum: http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/

thanks,

'm

jimvence wrote: »
    FYI, I've tested the search function, and it seems to work OK.
    I like the fact that you can use your Google or Facebook login,

Yes, the social network integration is one of the reasons I went with the software. I was getting an increasing stream of requests from people who wanted to login via facebook, google, etc.
    but if I switch over, does it lose my history of purchases, and posts?

Your forum account currently not linked to the store account. However, that one of the other reasons I also went with the software as it's much easier to implement single sign on. So later this month you will be able to login to both the store and the forum with just one password.

I've tested the facebook/google login and what I've found is that if you have an existing account in the forum, the facebook login won't link to that. You have to create a new account via facebook and once that's done you can sign in via any social network or just use the conventional login. I'll see if there's a way to link existing accounts to facebook, but so far I don't think it's possible.

Matteo wrote: »
    Bon courage! There are always problems with major upgrades.

Tell me about it! Haven't slept for two weeks! I-)
    One thing I was wondering, is there a way to jump directly to the last, newest, comment in a thread? It seems that there's no longer an option to display threads in a reverse chronological order, which was very useful.

That is one of the nice features of this software, the latest posts are prominently displayed in chronological order right on the main page: http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/

With the old software you had to click on the "new posts" button or spend a lot of time scanning all the individual category headings to find the latest posts. Now they're front and center!
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Main page not updating comments or most recent poster. No Way to know WHAT's NEW on

Could not find edit button on old post so I had to cart a new post to include this.

when I went to post I got:

Unknown column 'FirstCommentID' in 'field list'|Gdn_Database|Query|update GDN_Discussion `Discussion` set DateLastComment = :DateLastComment, FirstCommentID = :FirstCommentID, LastCommentID = :LastCommentID, CountComments = :CountComments where DiscussionID = :DiscussionID

Wim thanks I found the emotions on the right but not working.

Good Luck Michael

pick on

pickitjohn
    pickitjohn wrote: »

when I went to post I got:

You just had this issue as of 9:35am? I have been testing with various accounts and everything seems to be working. Please try again.

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    One thing I was wondering, is there a way to jump directly to the last, newest, comment in a thread? It seems that there's no longer an option to display threads in a reverse chronological order, which was very useful.

That is one of the nice features of this software, the latest posts are prominently displayed in chronological order right on the main page: http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/

Yes, now I see! When I first open a thread, I see the first post, and when I return later, I'm directed to the last. That's convenient! Probably controlled by cookies; it didn't work from the start, nor after I deleted the cookie. Or maybe I just misunderstood.
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    And now there's no error message when I post, and the field for writing comments is empty when my comment has been published. Great!