DjangoBooks.com

NEW FORUM!

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 6,153
    Matteo wrote: »
    One thing I was wondering, is there a way to jump directly to the last, newest, comment in a thread? It seems that there's no longer an option to display threads in a reverse chronological order, which was very useful.

That is one of the nice features of this software, the latest posts are prominently displayed in chronological order right on the main page: http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/

Yes, now I see! When I first open a thread, I see the first post, and when I return later, I'm directed to the last. That's convenient! Probably controlled by cookies; it didn't work from the start, nor after I deleted the cookie. Or maybe I just misunderstood.

Yes, I noticed that if you read halfway through a post and then return to it later, it will bring you right back to where you left off, nice! :)

Also, you get notified via a little ajax popup whenever someone posts to a thread you started or are following. Very cool.... ;)
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 4,733
    I used to use the blog page to find out what's been going on the forum. I noticed that's been missing lately and was wondering why. I see now. So when I landed on the forum in the new format that's what I immediately noticed and liked, it shows you what's been going on lately.
    Only one thing, when I first opened the page on my phone it seemed to format it for mobile device. I really liked that because that's what I use to browse the forum most of the time and it was a little cumbersome. Eventually I clicked on the "full site" link to see what that looks like and now it won't go back to mobile format. Any idea why?
    But even when I'm in the full site format one thing that's dramatically improved is typing a post from my phone. For some reason it was incredibly sluggish and unresponsive before, it would act really weird, cursor would be super hard to control, it had mind of its own. So I really welcome that change.

Good luck, hope you get some sleep soon.

Buco

Edit: never mind, I saw a link for mobile site. Yes, love it!
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    @Buco glad you like it!
    edited December 2013 Posts: 6,153
    stuart wrote: »
    Nice to see investment in the best gypsy jazz board on the 'net. The back-end stuff, the hard bit, is really good, this is one of the smoothest board upgrades I've experienced.

Thanks for the kind words! :D

I'm not so keen on:
    - the full screen layout, which makes posts hard to read on large, widescreen computers. It would be better to have the text in a box, as most forums (including Facebook) do

This will change in a few weeks. The forum will actually be embedded into the main site with a narrower width.
    - my western bias, but I'd prefer the navigation boxes etc. on the left rather than the right
    Noted
    - the leave a comment box is a bit small

It should expand as you write.
    - not convinced by the funny, wow, scholarly stuff, seems a bit naff to me
    - also a bit puzzled by the 'top reactions' 'top leaders' features. Who is Deleted User and how did s/he get so many points? Not sure this adds much to the forum (yet)

The reactions and badges are experimental. They seem to very popular on other forums but not sure if people will like them here. We'll give it a go and if they don't workout, they are easily removed.

- all sticky threads have become 'announcements'

Just a different name for the same thing.
    Also, a potentially serious bug - it looks like I can edit other people's posts! I got as far as getting into the 'edit' box of your main post Michael, I didn't see if I could actually save an edit.

EDIT: yes, I managed to add three full stops to your first post

:oops: Permissions error! I corrected that so only the admin has that ability.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Good luck with the upgrade Michael. It will probably work out well and everybody will be used to it in a week or two. My one gripe would be the background color, seems a bit too white. Can we change that in our options? I looked there but didn't see that choice.
    jonpowl wrote: »
    My one gripe would be the background color, seems a bit too white. Can we change that in our options? I looked there but didn't see that choice.

There currently isn't an option for user controlled themes, but I'll look into it. I think what's bothering you is the white full screen background. That will change once the forum is embedded. The layout will be narrower and the wallpaper will be darker. A white background in the text area is pretty common (i.e. Facebook) so I think most people will find it acceptable.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Sweet!! Driving around in the New Hood a little unfamiliar but loving the new sites. It's getting better :)>-

Seems I haven't located the door to the STORE. :)]

Great Job Michael keep it up. ^:)^

pick on

pickitjohn
  • Well, change is always that however I like the new look...and as I was never much good at more than basic posts in the old one this one is easier for me
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    @Jazzaferri glad you like it! :-bd
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    I liked the "wallpaper" on the old site. It gave it a classy look. Also preferred seeing all the categories in sections on the homepage.

Just resist the temptation to clutter up the site with google ads. I know if you start getting enough traffic, they come a knockin. The Telecaster site,TDPRI has gotten very messy.

Spellcheck can be a pain, if you're trying to type slang words,
    or some music specific terms, it auto corrects everything and you have to proof read the copy too much.

Swang on,