DjangoBooks.com

NEW FORUM!

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 6,153
    tomcunn wrote: »
    is it, or will it be, searchable?

The search bar is at the bottom of the sidebar on the right.

:-bd
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Michael, some time up you asked for specifics on my grousing. First of all, can I just say that I've no place to grouse, as it's your show, and you've been a tremendous resource to myself, and so many - so even if the new baby was in invisible ink, it takes stones to complain...so, congratulations and full steam ahead. Thanks for continuing to do this.

That said, :)

I'm seriously techno-ludditic, so please forgive any obvious idiocies. The white is hard on my eyes, I find the page harsh and grating to read. The kind of "text in space" is not a format I like as much as your previous incarnation. The functionality feels cumbersome to me but that's just probably my putting the time in to get used to things. The division of sub-forums in the visual layout they were, allowed me to do a quick scan, by area of interest, of later posts.

I also tend to learn by vicarious immersion in people, here...some probably know who they are, because I've leapt from vicarious to seeking them out, lol. But I can't see if there's a "search by user," an "advanced search" function?

Seems most are really happy with the changes, and I know it could have been a real nightmare in the switchover, so congrats again, Michael.

-Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
    Michael, some time up you asked for specifics on my grousing. First of all, can I just say that I've no place to grouse, as it's your show, and you've been a tremendous resource to myself, and so many - so even if the new baby was in invisible ink, it takes stones to complain...so, congratulations and full steam ahead. Thanks for continuing to do this.

@Passacaglia Thanks for the kind words! :-bd

I'm seriously techno-ludditic, so please forgive any obvious idiocies. The white is hard on my eyes, I find the page harsh and grating to read. The kind of "text in space" is not a format I like as much as your previous incarnation.

Don't mind the current look as that will change once it's embedded into the store. The current aesthetics are temporary.

The functionality feels cumbersome to me but that's just probably my putting the time in to get used to things. The division of sub-forums in the visual layout they were, allowed me to do a quick scan, by area of interest, of later posts.

That is even easier to do on this forum. The ease of identifying new posts is one of the key features of this software. All you have to do is look at the main page and all the new posts are right there, with the ones you've already read shaded. So you can quickly see what's new and what you've already read. If you prefer the full category view, just click the Categories link on the top right, it will present a display almost exactly like the old forum:

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/categories

Once you get used to the main page display I think you'll realize it's a huge improvement. It's so much easier to see what's going on.

I also tend to learn by vicarious immersion in people, here...some probably know who they are, because I've leapt from vicarious to seeking them out, lol. But I can't see if there's a "search by user," an "advanced search" function?

All you have to do is click on any user's name which will bring up their profile. Under their avatar you will see "Discussions" and "Comments." Just click those to find everything that user has posted. Pretty much the same as the previous software.

Seems most are really happy with the changes, and I know it could have been a real nightmare in the switchover, so congrats again, Michael.

thanks!

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, Michael. I'm looking forward to seeing how this evolves. Congrats again.

On the "search by user" thing, I wasn't talking so much about seeing the user's posts, as being able to search by a keyword, and then narrow the search to that user's posts that included that word, only. It was a nice way to dive into something specific, by one of the gods (choose your god :) ) on the forum. I'm not sure - is this available, or going to be available, at some point?
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
    Right now I only have the default search function installed. There are a couple of more advanced search plugins which I will add so you should be able to do a search of that type.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Passacaglia,
    You can set up your own CSS style sheet which will enable you to re-set the background color as well as font, size, etc. Now, mind you, it's not that easy, but I did it temporarily.
    I use Mozilla Firefox with the Web Developer extension, frequently used by web site designers, of which I have a bit of experience. If you have experience, you can also do it, but if not, get a web designer friend to help you. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
    Good luck,
    JP
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Matteo wrote: »
    When I first open a thread, I see the first post, and when I return later, I'm directed to the last. That's convenient
    Michael H wrote: »
    Yes, I noticed that if you read halfway through a post and then return to it later, it will bring you right back to where you left off, nice!
    Unfortunately, this doesn't work any longer. I'm sent to the top of the page where the last comment is, regardless of where I was on that page earlier. Mysterious.

Another mystery: I can't see any edit button, or spell check or general tools, which were mentioned earlier. I will check what it's like on a computer, I've only tried the Ipad so far.
    With my computer I'm sent to the last post of a thread when I click on it's headline on the front page. But I still don't see any edit/spell check/tools button. I use Safari on a Mac.
    Now I see it! I have to move the mouse over my comment, then a small wheel appears above, to the right. :)
    edited December 2013 Posts: 393
    On the Ipad, the wheel is always there, but it takes two clicks for "Edit" to show up. Similarly, I've had to click twice on inbedded Youtube videos for them to start.