DjangoBooks.com

NEW FORUM!

Comments

• asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    You have a huge amount of wasted space on the left and right and the categories on the right don't show up unless I have the the whole thing shrunk down too smaller than what I want to read.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    @asd123321 the current layout is just temporary. The forum will be embedded in the main site so the margins and other skinning details will change.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I like it! I even managed to put a picture in as an avatar, which I was never able to do on the old forum. All these things just take some time to adjust to, but this one seems a definite improvement.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    I do like the new format Michael. I just noticed though, that I can't seem to find a link to the store from the forum page. Am I missing it?

bopster wrote: »
    I do like the new format Michael. I just noticed though, that I can't seem to find a link to the store from the forum page. Am I missing it?

@bopster the current layout is just temporary. This forum will be integrated with the rest of the site in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned.....
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited December 2013 Posts: 768
    Sincerely I do not like at all this new format:

1- the readibility is not good at all
    2- can't see any photo or attachement
    3- can't see new messages
    4- Looks as if the structure is totally missing

Of course I will try to adapt but it is hard...
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    New Forum Swings

A little difficult to see the difference in New and what was read (shaded) perhaps a different shade color will help.

@MichaelHorowitz I believe this is already being worked on. THANKS

Font Colors
    Been missing the choice of Font Colors. Is that hiding somewhere?

The speed of preview and post is much faster.

After the fact Emotions
    Is it possible to add an emotion where your curser is rather then at the last type space?

Only way I found is to choose emotion then cut it and paste where you want.

Great work :clap:

Cheers &

pick on

pickitjohn
    @spatzo Sorry, you don't like it. However, I think once you get accustomed to it you'll find everything you're looking for.
    spatzo wrote: »
    Sincerely I do not like at all this new format:

2- can't see any photo or attachement

All photos and attachments should be visible. Are you saying you can't see them at all? If so, what browser are you using? No one else has reported this problem and all attachments are visible on all the browsers I checked (Explorer, Firefox, and Safari.)
    3- can't see new messages

The ease of viewing new message is one of the primary features of this forum. All the new messages are prominently displayed on the main page: http://www.djangobooks.com/forum

Just look there and you'll see every new message in chronological order. The ones you've read already will be shaded grey. It's so much easier than the old format which forced you to scan through a whole list of categories to find where the new posts where. However, if you like the old layout, this forum has a category list which is almost identical to the old forum. Just click on the Categories link in the upper right hand corner and the forum will provide you with a layout similar to that of the old forum.

4- Looks as if the structure is totally missing

Not sure what you mean by that.
    Of course I will try to adapt but it is hard...

I appreciate your willingness to adapt!

edited December 2013 Posts: 6,153
    pickitjohn wrote: »
    New Forum Swings

A little difficult to see the difference in New and what was read (shaded) perhaps a different shade color will help.

@pickitjohn It's a pretty clear difference on my browser, which one are you using? It's easily changed if it's a problem.

Font Colors
    Been missing the choice of Font Colors. Is that hiding somewhere?

Looks like the BBCode color codes aren't recognized, I'll look into it.

The speed of preview and post is much faster.

Glad to hear it.

Is it possible to add an emotion where your curser is rather then at the last type space?

Only way I found is to choose emotion then cut it and paste where you want.

I've never seen a text editor that does that but I'm sure it's possible. Someone would have to write a script to do that. If I find a mod that will do that I'll add it, but most likely you'll have to live with cut and pasting the emoticons. :-<
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    @MichaelHorowitz Yes it is the mouseover that is a bit annoying, having things jumping out and disappearing while I move the cursor over the screen. I guess it's javascript and I can probably disable it with some clientside scripting.
    :peace:

It seems when someone clicks them, then their avatars appears at the bottom of the post. And it all gets a bit noisy visually with avatars everywhere (I still prefer having the avatar/usernames in a separate column to the post content, like the old layout)

Agree that the structure is lacking, as someone else mentioned. Like, for example, you have a horizontal line divider in your signature Michael and it's the same as the divider between different posts.