DjangoBooks.com

NEW FORUM!

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Geez, I've got cable internet and it seems fast for everything else. Maybe it's because I play GJ so slowly.... I just did a speed test and it is 4490 kbps, 2nd test even faster. I'll clear the cache and try a different browser, maybe that will help.
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    A suggestion, now that I've spent a few days with the new site: in addition to "Funny," "Wow," "Scholarly" and "Artistic," it'd be great to have just-plain "Good."

I've read several great comments here that I'd like to express some positive reaction to, but "Funny/Wow/Scholarly/Artistic" weren't appropriate, so I didn't express anything at all.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    adrian wrote: »
    A suggestion, now that I've spent a few days with the new site: in addition to "Funny," "Wow," "Scholarly" and "Artistic," it'd be great to have just-plain "Good."

I've read several great comments here that I'd like to express some positive reaction to, but "Funny/Wow/Scholarly/Artistic" weren't appropriate, so I didn't express anything at all.

@adrian Yes, I agree. I need to think on it a bit, but I plan to revamp the reaction selections so they're more suited to our needs.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    No faster for me and it is specific to this forum.
    Those reactions buttons can be touchy, I think I left a few randomly while browsing on my phone. Just noticed I hit Adrian with "scholarly" for his suggestion to add a "good" button. I think I took it off. Adrian I still think you're a scholar, and a gentleman.

Buco
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • While on the topic of buttons....perhaps give some tjought to a thanks button
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    I should have preferred:
    1 - a "last-in first-out" approach when reading a topic
    2 - a bigger = NEXT=> arrow to turn pages easily
    3 - an opportunity to read new topics or answers from our last visit
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 6,154
    spatzo wrote: »
    I should have preferred:
    1 - a "last-in first-out" approach when reading a topic

@spatzo the new system arranges the posts in the same way as the old system, with the most recent posts at the end of the thread. Most forums work this way, so reversing the order would probably be confusing for most people. This software has the advantage of automatically sending you to the last unread post which is nice.

2 - a bigger = NEXT=> arrow to turn pages easily

Ok, I'll look into that. That's a skin issue so it probably will change.
    3 - an opportunity to read new topics or answers from our last visit

I'll see if there's any easy mod I can do for that. However, the system already provides that functionality by displaying all new posts on the main page, with previously read posts shadowed. All you have to do is keep an eye on the main page and you'll easily be able to monitor all new activity.

I should mention that one of the primary reasons I chose this software is because of the way it displays all new posts on the main page. I learned over the years that most people followed the forum by watching the new post feed that I used to have on the main page of the blog. Most people found the main page of the forum itself a little difficult to navigate, especially when looking for new activity. This new system makes it easy by clearly putting all new activity front and center on the main page, while also giving you the option to explore the forum through the categories via the sidebar.

Thanks for the feedback!

:-bd
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    At first glance and use, I don't care for it.
    I'll wait and see and comment further later.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @MichaelHorowitz

Ho Ho Ho It's starting to snow.

With all you been doing improving and updating the New Forum I hope it's a light snow and you don't need to bring in your snow plow.

bd84c1887bc62eabbd01031e0b71b6.jpg

Thanks for all you do!

Happy Holidays to all.

pick on

pickitjohn :peace: