DjangoBooks.com

Picks

Comments

• mcgroup53mcgroup53 Bloomington, IN USA✭✭✭✭ 1951 Ep Broadway
    Another option is to have Matthew Goins at Blue Chip Picks custom make a pick to your specs. You can send him almost anything, and he'll duplicate to your preferred thickness and bevel, out of that amazing brown industrial synthetic material he uses. It'll be expensive if you go thick, but I suspect it'l be the best pick you'll ever try.
    Buco
  • MandobartMandobart ✭✭ Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Mandocello, Fiddles
    edited August 2015 Posts: 100
    I just heard about and got some of these JTS picks. My normal go to pick for mandolin and guitar are the Wegen M200's. I found them very similar in size, shape and feel as a Wegen M200. They have a shallow tri-foil design in the center that helps grip more than a purely smooth pick. These feel thicker and a little more substantial than my Wegens. Bevel is the same direction and very similar to my right handed Wegens. And they are fairly cheap. I also have a couple Blue chips but I prefer the Wegen picks to them.
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    I stopped into the hippest music store in town today, looking for picks. To my amazement, they actually had Wegen picks, under the counter of course so they didn't get stolen. I tried most of what they had in stock, including the big city. To my surprise, I ended up walking out with the 3.5mm twins. There were no good archtops or of course any GJ guitars to try these out on, but they still seemed great, never played with a beveled pick before. And once I got home and tried them with my archtop - wow. I am sure I will change picks a lot as I learn this style, but really really cool, the sound and the feel these picks have. A whole new day.
    Buco
    @Mandobart thanks for the tip. Those seem cool. And cheap! Think I'm gonna try me some.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    Cheaper than the Wegen GP250 - think that was the model - and sounded just as nice, and with a more pronounced point on the tip. I also was messing around with strumming using the flat end of the pick, kind of interesting. And two of the picks I bought for the price of one of the other type - kind of a no-brainer.
  • mcgroup53mcgroup53 Bloomington, IN USA✭✭✭✭ 1951 Ep Broadway
    As much as I'm a major pick ho and have purchased Wegens, Blue Chips and other dedicated Gypsy picks until my pick box is overflowing, I also like the new Dunlop Primetone picks, which are cheap alternatives to the big boys. Using them on mandolin, and I'll be trying the Dunlop PT gypsy pick on my new Bumgarner Derecho when it arrives tomorrow. I'll let you know.
  • criminelcriminel buenos aires✭✭✭
    I like a good pick just like anyone else, but guys, let's get real here: Django could play with a shirt button or a comb thoot. Pick discussion is wankerland.
    mcgroup53
    Yeah but in those days a shirt button and/or a comb half the time was made out of turtle shell so...
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • criminelcriminel buenos aires✭✭✭
    ... so what? I still think that the important thing is how you play, not the pick.
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    woodamand wrote: »
    I stopped into the hippest music store in town today, looking for picks. To my amazement, they actually had Wegen picks, under the counter of course so they didn't get stolen. I tried most of what they had in stock, including the big city. To my surprise, I ended up walking out with the 3.5mm twins. There were no good archtops or of course any GJ guitars to try these out on, but they still seemed great, never played with a beveled pick before. And once I got home and tried them with my archtop - wow. I am sure I will change picks a lot as I learn this style, but really really cool, the sound and the feel these picks have. A whole new day.

Out of curiosity, which store is the hippest in Portland?