DjangoBooks.com

Picks

Comments

• edited August 2015 Posts: 4,817
    criminel wrote: »
    ... so what? I still think that the important thing is how you play, not the pick.

I agree, you're a 100% right but the pick undeniably has the effect on tone.
    When I go wanking about picks it's about the tone not if the pick will make me better, faster, more creative or what have you.

edit: but I also do think it's sad that "picks" thread has 2.4K views and interview with Paulus Schafer 951
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    For my money it is Old Town Music. They have more used instruments than anyone else, and even though I have dropped serious money at Portland Music, both on guitars and especially on getting my horns serviced, they don't do used stuff, or not a lot of it. I also like Trade Up Music but they don't have a lot of the more quality guitars IMO, mostly lower end of the spectrum.
    @mcgroup53 so you got the Bumgarner, nice!
    If you come around Chicago please get in touch.
    And +1 on Dunlop primetone (semi round), also Dunlop Americana (round) and Golden Gate MP-12 are all picks that I like very much as a nice alternative to pricey ones.
  • criminelcriminel buenos aires✭✭✭
    Buco wrote: »
    ... so what? I still think that the important thing is how you play, not the pick.

I agree, you're a 100% right but the pick undeniably has the effect on tone.
    When I go wanking about picks it's about the tone not if the pick will make me better, faster, more creative or what have you.

edit: but I also do think it's sad that "picks" thread has 2.4K views and interview with Paulus Schafer 951

Yeah, mee too. Never mind. I probably overreacted anyway. Didn't mean to fight you.
    Buco - hope I will be able to take you up on that sometime!
    cheers
    Dana
  • mcgroup53mcgroup53 Bloomington, IN USA✭✭✭✭ 1951 Ep Broadway
    Buco, yes! It arrives tomorrow. I live in Indianapolis, and my best friend is in Chicago, so I go often. Will definitely make plans to be there are soon as my shithole 3rd World state fixes the stinking I-65 North bridge in Lafayette so I don't have a 90-minute detour trying to get north from Indy.
    Buco
    Buco - sorry, read your post poorly obviously you were not speak to me. I will try to learn to read better!
  • Nice work on the derecho. You'll love it
    Dana, it'd still be nice to meet if you do stop by these parts.
    Yeah, mee too. Never mind. I probably overreacted anyway. Didn't mean to fight you.

I didn't see that way. Heaven knows there's been way too many picks discussions around here. I still get suckered into it, can't help myself.
    One last thought: I was in Seattle, and ended up with a coconut pic, which is greAt, and since they were available and not too expensive some sarod picks of various materials and Dunlop 207/208. I think I have most of the common choices now, and once I get a GJ guitar I will figure it all out, or at least cut it down to a couple of mainstays. These different picks are really interesting on my archtops already, so well worth the small investment.