DjangoBooks.com

Lets write a fake book together

Comments

• robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    I'll recant my proposal for a vote. It was more of an opener than anything else. The standards of notation in use at Berklee are hard to quibble with.
  • AJATangoAJATango New
    I'll recant my proposal for a vote. It was more of an opener than anything else. The standards of notation in use at Berklee are hard to quibble with.

there's a book and class taught so it's ok :)
    i recommend their notation book. Some students blow off the class but, it's an invaluable tool for learning some standardized notation.
    AJATango wrote:

there's a book and class taught so it's ok :)
    i recommend their notation book. Some students blow off the class but, it's an invaluable tool for learning some standardized notation.

What's the title/author? Is it available online?
    Thanks!
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Hi everyone,
    Wow! It sounds like this is really happening!
    I'll try and work on a few contributions myself.
    Great idea!

My suggestion for the chord nomenclature:
    It's mostly 6/9 and only sometimes Maj7 for majors, m6 or a little less common m7 for minors and 7,9, b9 and occasionally b13 for dominants (don't write more complicated dom7 chords unless essential to the song), m7b5 for half diminished.
    It's simple enough and works.
    If an specific bass lines is wanted we can use slash chords
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    The standards of notation in use at Berklee are hard to quibble with.

Yes, for jazz in general, but I think they are not specific enough to be stylized for this particular style of music.

I think it would be much more appropriate to create a "Style Guide" for the chord charts that is basically Berklee style +/- gypsy idioms.

Before everyone starts on charts, shouldn't we first agree on a style guide?
    djangology wrote:
    The standards of notation in use at Berklee are hard to quibble with.

Yes, for jazz in general, but I think they are not specific enough to be stylized for this particular style of music.

I think it would be much more appropriate to create a "Style Guide" for the chord charts that is basically Berklee style +/- gypsy idioms.

Before everyone starts on charts, shouldn't we first agree on a style guide?

In publishing (my clients are mostly publishers) each publisher has what they call "house style," and no two are alike. And there's always a comprehensive manual laying out style requirements. It might indeed be useful to have such a guide to refer to for the contributors to this effort. FWIW.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I think BB Harry's ideas are about right...there's always a danger of making it too crowded on the page, and that shorthand seems good to me. I might simplify the 6/9 to 6, but otherwise it seems fine. With the m7b5 vs. circle-with-a-line-through-it, I'd rather see the circle just for the sake of brevity (I think the majority of players understand it).

One thing I'd rather NOT see is a 'chord book' that encourages people to play the same shapes over and over for any given chord...

best,
    Jack.
    Jack wrote:
    One thing I'd rather NOT see is a 'chord book' that encourages people to play the same shapes over and over for any given chord...

best,
    Jack.

Me either—that would seem very limiting.

BTW probably everybody has seen Major 7th chords indicated by a triangle instead of a "Maj." It's shorter, but to me always seemed kind of hokey. I'm curious how it's regarded inside the music industry.