DjangoBooks.com

So, what's everyone working on today?

Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
edited January 2013 in Repertoire Posts: 203
Today's practice;
-Reviewing "Tears" & "J'Attendrai" from Unacompanied Django.
- "Swing 39" from Robin Nolan's Gypsy Jazz Playalong Vol 6.

What's everyone workin on today?
Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco

Comments

• Little Sunflower by Freddie Hubbard - sax

Mt St. Genevieve by you know who - guitar
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    Arabic patterns and figuring out different ways I can use whole tone flavors.
    HCQ
  • SomeDudeSomeDude Brooklyn, NYNew
    Ikea assembly and placement.
    2 Desks, 3 shelves, 2 dressers.
    My hands are shot.
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    Pick making - just finished sanding a 3ply Clayton pick - 3.5mm Ultem plastic copy of Wegen shape (Bob Holo's idea from somewhere else on this forum).

Solo construction - Allowing myself 1 chorus only at a time and working on development and variation (trying to get rid of waffle and break things up a bit more - working in chordal passages, tricks, and such like to break up single note lines and keep things interesting*). Recording and listening back after every 3 or so takes.

Recording next Saturday with my band La Mauvaise Reputation. Big week for practice...

Jon

*one of the most useful things about the Benjamin Givan book IMO is his discussion of Django's use of this technique, which Tchavolo uses a lot too.
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    I'm not supposed to say. I could tell you,.. but then, you know... I'd have to... it just wouldn't be good. :lol:
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Erster Tango. Just "discovered" this tune recently after hearing Bireli's version on Jazz Radio.com.
    Swang on,
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    HotTinRoof wrote:
    I'm not supposed to say. I could tell you,.. but then, you know... I'd have to... it just wouldn't be good. :lol:
    Lol, Thanks Man.
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Honeysuckle Rose. Stochello's sample lesson (posted on YouTube) is great. Recorded the head on my Chop Shop to slow it down and finally nailed most of it. Still can't quite figure out that octave type chord he uses up and down the neck. Seen Jimmy R and other European's use the same shape....now for the rest of the damn song. :roll:
    Swang on,
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    I'm a newbie to lead, but lately I've been working on improvising over the chord changes of Django's Tiger, Honeysuckle Rose and ST Louis blues.

ALSO - I recorded a backing track that simply repeats the last 8 bars of the B section of Django's tiger over and over. Going under the assumption that everyone remembers how you ended the solo, I'm trying to improve my ability to put together a nice phrase/solo ending. Since MANY songs use a similar turn around as the last 8 bars of Django's tiger, hopefully this will help with others as well.

Cheers!
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    "LESKE" by Mandino Reinhardt, but need the chords? :mrgreen: Anyone :?: :D Merci beaucoup :D